Thursday, November 14, 2013

Happy Halloween from La Torre


La Torre solo peak bag day.

La Torre useless statistic: highest non-volcanic peak in C. America.  12,XXX ft

Ditched my friends.

Tipico Breakfast: Rice, Beans, Egg, Tortilla, Red Soupy Sauce, Q15.

Microbus to La Ventosa: Q10

Dropped by tienda where men in traditional dress were gulping beer by their horses.  Bought water and directions from tienda.  Turned to set off when old man approached me with family-size bottle of Mezcal and offered me a shot.  Celebration mañana.  I knock it back no chaser and set off.  Adios.  Easy trail for a while navigation-wise.  Opens up.  Beautiful.  Windy, hearty, mossy.  Low junipers or some such tree and rock.  I meander skirting what I think is my destination peak but there's a couple other maybes and just when I wish I had someone to ask I spot a shepherding couple about 300m away.   I draw nearer and turn toward them going about 100m away from my peak.  He approaches me while the wife hangs back.  Marcelino, I think, I'm about 65% on that name.  Typical Guatemalan Mam.  Mam wear: red pants with white and blue shirt with snazz collar and extremely friendly.  I was hoping for a broad portrait scape of him amidst the sheep on the descent but he vanished, no dice.  Intimate photoshoot with a normally skittish lizard.  Peak is cool and my hour and a half there was spent alone.  Clouds change rapidly around me but at this moment I am in bright sun with the thin air of 12.000ft.  The most pleasant 12,000ft you ever saw.  Breeze or stillness.  Warmth, quiet, calm.  2 bananos down, peels flung forward to their death over the rock.  Crunchy, light cookie breads.  2 oranges.  Bready.  Seltzer, es posible!!  Mostly I've been finding ways to fill my 2L with agua pura.  If I have to buy water, buy seltzer.












No comments:

Post a Comment