Saturday, December 7, 2013

Machete Count

1

Sorry for the contentless check-ins.  I´ll try to work up something for the Report as soon as is humanly possible or as soon as I have time or as soon as I feel like it or sometime.  This reminds of both Catch-22, which I´m reading (along side the biography, Bonhoeffer) and Guatemala in general.  Just two days ago I had the following conversation, joined in progress and translated from the crappy Spanish, at a new hotel with the grandfather-aged owner, Diego:

Diego:  For the week, its 200 Quetzales.
Me:  Great. And is there a kitchen I can use?
Diego:  No. Sadly, there´s no kitchen.
Me:  Ohhhh, hmm, it would be a lot better if there was a kitchen.
Diego:  You´d like a kitchen?
Me:  Yes, I´d like to be able to prepare some meals here.
Diego:  There´s a kitchen.  Come with me.

He takes me down one flight of steps into his family´s compound/comlplex and shows us into a fully outfitted kitchen.  Whoever used to use this kitchen is not using it.

Me:  Oh, this is excellent.  This will do just fine.
Diego:  You can cook with firewood on this stove.
Me:  Oh, firewood...What about that stove? (pointing to a normal-looking gas or electric stove/oven)
Diego:  Oh, that stove.  Noooo.  That stove doesn´t work.
Me:  It doesn´t work?
Diego:  It doesn´t have gas.
Me:  I could get a tank of gas for it.  I may be here long enough.
Diego:  You could get a tank of gas but the stove doesn´t work.
Me:  Oh, it doesn´t work.
Diego:  Nope.  Do you want to use it?
Me:  Yes, I´d like to use it.
Diego:  Well you could use it, but it doesn´t work.
Me:  I´ll take the room.  

No comments:

Post a Comment