Tuesday, February 25, 2014

On The Olympics

I didn't watch any. Not a single event, not a single highlight.


TV is gone from my life.* No commercials, no DVR; my wish to never see the face of Bob Costas again may have come true. If a couple stateside gringoes I converse with hadn't mentioned the games, they may have passed without my recognition. A winter olympics has little to no bearing here in Guatemala, or rather the Mayan lakeside. As Dan put it to me midway through the games, "Guatemala hasn't even sniffed a podium." That is likely to change for Summer 2016 if they add Tamale Eating to the line up. Diego, the Hospedaje Mirador's grandfather-figure, fairly famous here at El Jocotel blog now and even stretching back to The Reprieve Report days, will be a strong contender for multiple medals in both the Speed and Quantity categories. Tamales disappear from the 'monton' before him so fast you would suspect he was breaking off half for a chucho under the table. This infringement, the sport's most egregious, is sure to be monitored closely by the IOC.



*This statement is completely true now, but I would watch the following at some point if they were available. I've never been one to watch stuff on a laptop, but on a limited basis, I think I could get into a good show:

  • the rest of Breaking Bad
  • Better Call Saul
  • the rest of Treme
  • the rest of Louie
  • the rest of Portlandia
  • Maron
  • anything good, tv or film, recommended by a trusted source

No comments:

Post a Comment