Friday, February 14, 2014

Why I Chose Tzununa, Part IIc-e

Location

Besides Charlie, Tzununa's location on the lake is good. It's easy on the lancha, though it can be rough in bad weather with a crowded boat, to other towns. The village is at the end of the road. To get to Jaibalito, the next village, you need to walk a path or take the boat. You can't drive your materials in there. I already mentioned Tzununa's proximity to San Marcos and I'll say much more about Tzununa itself later, some relating to location.


Safety

Tzununa prides itself on being a very friendly, safe community and that was a big part of the decision. Things happen around here sometimes. In San Pablo, a tourist van may get held up at gunpoint now and then. In San Marcos, there are three known, fairly skilled and elusive, if drug addicted, theives who may or not be connected in the municipality building. They rob with machetes and their intention is to scare and steal and not hurt. They tourists on paths but break into homes gringo and local alike. The tourists and locals alike were getting tired of this happening and, with the help of my friend Tim's testimony regarding a Yoga Forest incident, they locked one of the guys up. Locals aren't always eager to step up and say something in court against one of their own.

There could be a risk on the road between San Marcos and Tzununa or the path between Tzununa and Santa Cruz, but with little money and valuables, I walk all around with no fear. In the hills above Tzununa, I'm concerned only with not injuring myself, not robberies. We all hope that with a rise in visiting gringo numbers, which the town people seem to approve of, we can remain a safe and friendly town.

Shad

Shad's a name I've heard since being back at the Yoga Forest. He's actually the reason the town of Tzununa was mentioned to me the first time I remember hearing it. The Yoga Forest was on its way to becoming a great permaculture food forest, but was hampered by frequent, noncohesive changes in garden management. The word in the forests was that Shad, over in the next village, had his own permaculture farm that, while less flashy and view-rich, was highly functioning with some really cool and creative systems built in and lots of animals. He sells vegetables and products made from the milk of his eight goats at four or five markets per week. He had nine goats, but he slaughtered one before Thanksgiving and I was lucky enough to have some of the meat, though not with Shad, with my friends Tom and Riley.

I consider Shad a permaculture rock star, certainly in this region. He has people who've heard about his operation go up to visit almost every single day. He flip-flops on the issue of whether or not to accept volunteers, but he always has a steady supply of people ready to work mornings and glean the knowledge just for a lunch. Volunteers are coordinated by my friend, Tim, who did the same job back at the Yoga Forest. Twice a year, Shad teaches a Permaculture Design Course. The last course (two weeks,~$1500) in December had 18 in the group. I've absorbed a lot from my time around here about how to maximize your output and work all the systems of your garden, animals and life together in symbiosis, but I think Shad will help me develop a working, yielding farm that runs at a level of involvement that's manageable for myself with some help from visitors and a local staff. The truth is that ecotourism is cool and it's growing. I'll admit it's pretty fascinating to go to the farm of a 27-year old dude who bought land and moved to Guatemala to build up a successful, diversified and healthy farm and is a great friend and benefactor to the community.

Shad's another busy type, and despite all the visitors, he and his wife are fairly private people. I'm told some volunteers are disappointed that Shad's presence and interaction can be minimal during their time there. Maybe that's how he gets people to stay and take the course. I've still only had two or three chats with him, always rushed and in passing. I've heard he likes drinking a few beers in a row so my plan is to lure him up to my place with beer. I'll have my notebook and pen ready because it's often said that Shad is a nonstop font of useful information and I think he'll start talking when he sees the land, again, for he looked at this plot himself. Whenever I have a question or problem with my garden or animals, Shad's as far as a phone call. He preserves and sells seeds and his vegetables will be a diversified, healthy, extremely local food source.


I have no idea how our friendship will play out in the future, but any way it happens is sure to be fine. Shad is busy and also married. He's also a very valuable mind in terms of knowing how those from here think and how to do well by them.

No comments:

Post a Comment